"Watnoski, Michael" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         I will admit that I have had more experience with PCAD than Protel.
> I have used PCAD for about 3 years and Protel for only abut six months now.
>
>         It is the common things that Protel fails in that drive me crazy.
> Things like having to readjust the wire after moving a component.

This is an area where progress has been backward.  The old DOS
(Autotrax or Accel Tango DOS) program did a lot better in schematic
manipulation than the current program.  Moving a selected block of a schematic
usually ends in a mess that takes a few minutes to clean up.

> Protel
> will keep the wires connected unless this option is turned off.  PCAD allow
> a component to be dropped on a wire and it will split the wire and connect
> each end to the pins.  Protel will short the component, so the wire must be
> deleted first and two new wires drawn.  I also don't like that Protel will
> delete all wires drawn in the same operation rather than just the selected
> wire.

The handling of wire segments that were placed at different times as being
totally
different from a bunch of segments that were placed in one operation is a very
annoying 'fetaure'.  IE. if you select a wire that was all drawn at one time,
it all
selects.  If you select a wire segment that was drawn just by itself, only that

segment selects.  If you move a segmant that was drawn together witrh others,
it drages the ends of the attached segments.  If you move a separately-drawn
segment, you only move that segment.

Jon