> G'Day all,
>
> Yet Another Altium Media Release
>
> http://www.protel.com.au/media/mr02_descapt.htm
>
> This time on VHDL stuff (integrated in the next release of Protel).
>
> This will no doubt get the PCB designers amongst us off and fuming...(as
> opposed to those that spend time doing other design stuff as well).
>
> Ian Wilson

Given the philosophy of Protel come Altium, I am not surprised that Phoenix
will contain more VHDL / Programmable Device support. That said, I'm not
ecstatic about what this could well mean for the next versions of the PCB
and Schematic servers: a less than methodical eradication of outstanding
bugs and shortcomings.

We are now almost halfway through Q1/2002; I wonder if Phoenix will still be
released in that time. Even if Altium don't release the final public version
in that time (assuming beta testing is currently occurring, though there is
a question mark over that), the release of a beta/prerelease public version
by then would still be of value to Altium, in that they would have released
*something* by the indicated date, while giving users in general the chance
to report outstanding aspects before the release of the final version.
(Perhaps Altium could give users an incentive to provide feedback: in
exchange for that, the otherwise 30 days available for evaluating the trial
version of the final release (when that is made available) could be extended
to some extent (depending upon the quality and quantity of feedback
provided).)

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer