At 12:56 PM 2/14/2002 -0800, Brad Velander wrote:

>         To remove the soldermask from these existing polygon pours, select
>the polygon pour on the top layer, copy the polygon pour, paste it over the
>existing polygon pour, edit the properties of the new polygon pour to change
>the layer to Top Soldermask, repour the polygon on the soldermask layer.

Users should be warned to uncheck "remove dead copper" on such a polygon.
Normally, we want to remove unconnected copper from polygons, but nothing
on a non-copper layer is connected, so it will all be removed. But the
polygon will still be there, albeit invisible, and it can be a nuisance
later on.

I want to underscore the matter about negative layers. Protel's Inner
Planes and Solder Mask layers are plotted in the negative. What would be
copper on a regular layer is anti-copper on an Inner Plane, and a primitive
on a Solder Mask Layer *removes* solder mask. Where there are no plotting
primitives, everything on negative layers is copper or solder mask,
respectively. Keepouts never plot, and they have no effect whatever on a
Solder Mask..

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA