On 02:46 PM 20/02/2002 -0800, JaMi Smith said:
>Abdul,
>
>Well ~
>
>You're almost right . . .
>
>A typical RF Choke on a PCB is a certain length conductor (typically 1/4
>wavelength), which is acting as an inductor, from one active part of an
>RF circuit (typically the Collector of an RF Transistor) to another part
>of the circuit, typically power (or sometimes ground), such that it is a
>"short" at DC, and isolated (or open) at a given frequency. Thus one can
>pass power thru the Choke to the Transistor, but it does not appear to
>be a short at RF frequencies. There are other applications, but this is
>probably the most common one you will find on a PCB, and is actually
>quite common today.
>
>Now - Go ask Protel how to make it . . .
>
>No, don't give us your version (which we have already seen here in the
>list), but go ask Protel how to make it.
>
>JaMi Smith

One few other points,

Abd ul-Rahman was the developer of the virtual short concept.  I leave it
to you (as your are such a clever duck) to work out the relevance.

Protel allows you define a short cct rule permitting nets to short - I
leave it to you to work out the relevance.

Mechanical layers can be used set to merge with other layers when producing
gerbers - I leave it to you  .....

Ian Wilson
(PS my rudeness for the day is exhausted, all sweetness and light from me
for a while.)