At 10:40 PM 27/02/02 -1100, you wrote:
>>There are problems with doing X and Y flips - they don't swap layers and
>>they leave components in upside-down. The L-Flip (layer flip) with
>>selections is also fraught.
>
>What purpose does X & Y flip serve with respect to the components themselves

X and Y flip of components is supported to ensure there is a steady flow of
new users with very difficult to mount components.

>apart from sorting out assembly layer issues for components on the bottom
>layer ie. allowing you to move the mechanical bits to another layer and
>mirroring them when necessary. Put another way, wouldn't it be better,
>even now, to define a set of properly paired layers and (harking back to
>my original point) to make sure that ALL future layers are paired.

I really do not want forced pairing of all layers.  When doing some
documentation I want to be able to refer to a specific layer and know that
the details I am referring to are indeed on that layer.  Forced pairing
would limit flexibility.

*But*...there is a possible source of new confusion that will arise when a
design has its layer pairs modified mid stream.  This could progressively
cause items to become scattered around on multiple different layers - there
is something to be said for the safety of fixed layer pairings.  (Also, if
layer pairings can be set in the PCBLib, what happens when a component is
brought into a design with different pairings?).

How are issues like this handled in other packages?

bye for now,
Ian Wilson