> OK. This is off topic (not about Protel)

< -- snip -- >
> I was able to put a multimeter probe on a via and the other probe on the
> trace from that via, and after scraping the probe across the trace twice I
> went through the solder mask and got a short.
>
> Does this sound like an acceptable Solder mask?
>
> Thanks for any input.

Cam

        Yes, it sounds like an acceptable Solder mask to me. For fluid solder mask is
very thin over traces. If you aware the process of bringig it on the board it is
only logical.
I tried to show a cross section below so you can see the thickness of the solder
mask over a copper trace (my fab told me about 7-8m !)

      ___,`,___<---Solder mask
          |""""""""""|<---copper-trace

That is why you easily can scratch the solder mask with a probe.

Sorry for no better news.

Regards

Waldemar

PS: I borrowed parts of the sketch from Scott May and appologice if I violate a
copyright   8-)