Jerry,
    what are you trying to generate? A padmaster which contains all vias as
well? For what purpose? Padmasters are mostly a hold out from days gone by
when hand taping methodologies dictated a single padmaster for all pads of
both layers.
    If you still want to merge the soldermask and padmaster layers, watch
out for soldermask expansion within Protel. Check your PCB design rules to
see if there is any specified soldermask expansion rule, this will make the
soldermask flashes larger then the actual pads by the amount specified in
the rule. Therefore you will end up with slightly larger pads then desired
on your merged padmaster.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth S8155 at NAB 2002 in Las Vegas April 8 - 11.