On 08:08 PM 22/03/2002 -0800, Tony Karavidas said:
>That's a good question. I would bet Protel has something that reads DDBs and
>puts all the files in a directory. Maybe someone there would like to chime
>in???
>
>Tony

The bumbf I have seen suggests that there are going to be 3 ways of storing
data, just one of which is new, but maybe I am not recalling correctly - I
tend not to read all the early press release stuff too carefully.  What I
have read is the same as what everyone else has seen so can anyone find the
quote I seem to recall that mentions the DDB and other storage methods?

I would *very* much doubt that Protel would isolate the DDB - many smaller
companies love the idea of one file that contains all of a project.  many
of us do not use version control so the DDB has been a great way of
encapsulating designs and archiving them fairly safely.

The issue of backward compatibility support for DDBs is way off my radar as
I can't believe that it wouldn't be there.  I am more interested in the
usability and reliability of the other stuff and the list of bugs fixed.

I may well move towards a VCS but it is very unlikely to be M$ VSS so I
would hope they have fairly generic support so FreeCVS and others can also
be used.

Ian Wilson