> I've used ACAD for over 15 years and find it pretty amazing.  I do use
> Solidworks for most parametric stuff but still use ACAD for the drawings.
The
> ACIS import works well from Solidworks.

 The point in this case was usability. I too own an ACAD license.  I prefer
the free Intellicad from a usability perspective when dealing with client's
drg files.  The problem with both these packages is that if I don't
continually use them then I go back to scratch. The user interface could in
no way be described as intuitive and frequently feels totally counter
intuitive. The general feeling when firing up ACAD or it's clone is that
surely there must be something better than this.  We looked at Solidworks
but the 7K was a bit steep for the percentage of income it would generate as
the 3D side of the operation could only be described as 'nice' to have.

Whenever possible I use Visio technical for 2D. It is horrendously limited,
but it is fast to use & a hell of a lot easier to remember.

The contrast in the particular case of the PTC product was incredible. Rapid
generation & editing of 3D objects with a delightfully intuitive interface.
For the 3D modelling which I need to do, it is looking ideal.

As with all things the gotcha still creeps up.  The entry price is low at
AUD1K2 but there is also a AUD800 per year compulsory maintenance.  So
really you are just renting...

Cheers

Don