Ted Tontis wrote:

>         I have a old file that I am trying to generate gerber files on. I
> can not seem to get the .legend to work. I have confirmed I can not view it
> when I generate the gerber files or when I do a print preview.
>         This is what I have done already repair the data base, repair
> Protel, checked that all the drill holes are really holes, confirmed that
> the .legend is really there, and tried it on another data base. The only
> thing I have not tried is to completely remove Protel and re install it. Has
> anyone else had the displeasure of having this happen to them?

One of the quirks with legend is when you have RS-274X Gerber files
turned off.  Then, you have to have Protel generate an aperture list
from the board.  But, it doesn't generate an aperture for the legend
information.  Depending on what other apertures you use, the legend
symbols may (all | some | none) appear, or the text that identifies the
symbols may or may not appear.  Apparently, 2 apertures are needed for
the symbols, one for lines and one for arcs, and another for the text.
I manually add these when needed, but it is very tricky to figure out
what it needs.

This does not happen when you use RS-274X output.

The .legend string has to be placed on the drill drawing layer, in a location
so that the legend block fits within the positive coordinate quadrant.
And, you have to enable the drill drawing for Gerber file generation.

One of these things must be what you didn't do.

Jon