Jason,
        please don't think that you are safe by the fact the board shops may
comply with IPC or other specifications. IPC and other specifications allow
for platings which would experience solder joint embrittlement during
fabrication if the wrong solders/processes are used.

        Nothing ties the board plating and assembly procedures together in a
singular uniquely compatible specification. Not to mention that the
thickness of platings can effect circuit performance at high frequencies and
boards from differing manufacturers can perform differently based upon
different plating options. You are most certainly not IPC compliant if you
don't specify your plating. It would be an IPC omission to leave undefined
gaps in your board specification. Why specify even initial or plated Cu
thickness, the boards you received last time seemed to work fine, they were
manufactured by an IPC compliant shop? The next boards don't perform the
same, well it must be the fab shops fault. Wrong!

        Just trying to help you in the long run, a lot of us have been where
you are before. Some of us have paid for our former bliss with our sweat,
tears and blood, some have survived through pure luck but learned what we
did in the past was unacceptable. This is the last that I will say unless
you request more information, can't force you to accept my advice.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.

<SNIP>