I was having this problem and some other odd things
where happening, this on my new computer just setup
in the last couple of weeks. I have since removed 99SE
and the other 99se files from the winnt (win2k) directory
and reinstalled 99SE. I think it has fixed all the problems.

I think it was DLL related.

Regards,
Darren Moore

PS new computer:
P4 2G, 1G DDR RAM, MATROX DH G550 graphics card (very slow)
the GeForce 2 on my old machine was much much faster.
2 x 80G 7200 HDD raid mirror setup with a MSI 845 Ultra
main board (raid, USB2,)