At 11:53 AM 4/12/2002 -0700, JaMi Smith wrote:
>Interesting way of ascribing Intelligent Design to Sheer Oversight ...

No, it was merely a theory, as I wrote later, unverified. And indeed I
could not verify it, but perhaps only because I could not duplicate the
stray designator problem, even though I tried quite a few different
scenarios. So I can see four possibilities:

(1) my hypothesis is false.
(2) it's true, i.e., the behavior is a side effect of something desirable
-- persistence of settings --, whether it is intentional or fortuitous, but
it depends on some setting that I did not identify.
(3) the problem depends on settings, but the hypothesis is also false.
(4) the problem depends on the phase of the moon, and the rising sign and
frustration level of the user.

Does anyone know how to reliably duplicate the problem of stray
designators/types?

(Yes, I have seen it also, and it does reliably go away by rotating the
parts, that much I knew already.)