Dear ABD,

First of all, yes, I would strongly suspect a bug, though a damaged
executable is a possible but unlikely culprit. Mr. Wilson is correct, it
should not be possible to cause an access violation with bad (or good)
netlist data.

One factor not stated so far: did the Schematic pass a full ERC?

----The schematic passed the ERC, no warning. Netlist loading report is very
clear and all macros are validated.

Many designers, trying ERC, find so many errors and warnings that they do
not bother to clean it up. After all, the job is due, etc.....

But that quickly-done job is going to be a problem if the PCB contains
errors that could have been avoided if errors or warnings in the ERC had
been found and fixed.

Most experienced Protel designers take the trouble to track down and fix
*every* error and warning. If a warning is verified to come from a
condition that is intended, a no_ERC directive (Place Directive) is placed
on the error marker to suppress the report. For example, I'll put such a
directive on every unconnected pin, because I want to check for unconnected
pins, for a very high percentage of schematic errors will result in an
unconnected pin, or a net with no driving pin.

As others have mentioned, a possible cause of the crash is a duplicated
pin, i.e., a pin which is in more than one net, or possibly a net which is
found in the list more than once.

The former condition can be created by a bad symbol or by more than one
part with the same reference designator. The latter will generally be
detected by ERC. A sign of the former would be that an Update PCB will
produce macros even after Update has been run twice.

I would not trust that a netlist which crashes Netlist Load will produce
good results when loaded through the Synchronizer (Update PCB), even if the
latter does not crash. I would not be content until I had tracked down the
exact cause of the problem, which can be done by cutting down the net list
into sections, repeating the process until one has found exactly what
causes the problem. (Note that a problem might exist because of two
different nets or node in the list, widely separated in the file, so the
chunking might need to be done in a more complicated way than merely
cutting the file in half each time).

---I created netlist for each sheets. There are total 25 sheets. I then
loaded them individaully. There were no problem.