On 02:40 PM 17/04/2002 -0700, Shuping Lew said:
>I use some notes on every schematic project. So I created a schematic symbol
>named "note" for it. To avoid the warning of missing footprint, I also
>created a footprint named "blank" to associate with that symbol. For some
>reason, Protel does not like the footprint "Blank"(there is not primitive on
>the footprint at all). I deleted component "note" from the netlist, it seems
>ok now...
>
>Shuping

Interesting - can this be validated (if someone validates I will add to the
bug list).  Proposed entry (if validated):

access violation.

Details: PCB 99SE SP6 A netlist load which includes a footprint with no
entities (a completely blank PCB footprint) can cause an access violation
during netlist load.  This does not affect the
synchroniser.  Workaround:  Completely blank footprints should be avoided.
Protel should make netlist import bullet-proof such that any file, even
complete binary garbage, should not cause a crash.

Reported by: Shuping Lew
Validated by:....

I would especially like validation that this indeed the only way of
triggering the issue or whether it requires other conditions as well such
as large number of components, multiple instances of the blank component
(maybe all with the same or possibly blank ref designators).  Also,
checking what the effects of the blank footprint on the board is (is it
reported in BOM, does it affect Zoom-ALL).  Maybe there is another bug in
that a blank footprint causes the database to become unstable in some fashion.

As per usual, I will do the database if others put in some time on the
validation, thanks.
Ian Wilson