What I have done is to unhide the Comment field and use it to label
small components so the Ref Des is not changed and therefore corresponds
with the schematic/netlist. Obviously everybody involved needs to
understand and approve such a shortcut. I then show the Ref Des on the
Assembly drawing where the IC is to be placed.

On one design that had multiple identical channels, a box (Top Overlay
and Bottom Overlay) was drawn around the identical sections and a Text
Field added to the Box saying Channel N and then the individual
components were just labeled (using the Comment) as you indicated using
     the shortened designator. Since all Rn in the channels were
identical and there were no "other" Rns (i.e. make sure that if you have
R1-1, R1-2, etc. there is no R1 in the non repeated section of the
board) the assembly personnel had no difficulty stuffing the boards.

On another design, I was asked to use Alpha characters for the
indicators (again using comments) so I had sections that looked like
alphabet soup!