On 11:50 AM 29/04/2002 -0700, Mira said:
>Brad,
>One more question.
>If the net "connectivity is directly assigned at a
>time when the netlist is generated", how can I
>select/highlight (or sort of) a wire and check if it's
>really connected to all parts?

Select-Net  (shortcut keys S-N) and then click on the net of interest.  You
can then see which net is highlighted. Unfortunately it is more difficult
to get this selection to work across multiple sheets on the project (due to
the fact that the net is not an attribute of the wire so a global operation
is not possible restricting wire selection by net).

Once you have the selection you can also get a report of the selected pins
from the Reports-Selected Pins... Menu option (Sch).  Read the stuff on
de-selection below to make sure you know what you are getting first.

Mira,  one thing that you should understand (re-you copy and paste
question) and is relevant here and elsewhere is how Protel selects
things.  Protel makes a difference between selection and focus.  Selection
is shown by a change in colour of the entity(ies) usually yellow.  Focus is
shown by a box around the entity.  At most, only one entity can be focussed
at a time. Many entities can be selected, independent of the entity that is
focussed (if any).

Get very used to using the X-A key combination (deselect-all) as Protel
builds up selections by default, not clearing the old selection. There may
be an option to change this  I prefer the selection building up.  There is
reasonable documentation on selection and focus in the Protel docs and it
is worth reading this.

Selections can be made by dragging the mouse to form a box around the
desired entities with the left mouse button held down, or by Shift-Left
click, or by calling up one of the selection processes from the Edit menu,
or by doubling clicking an entity and changing the selection attribute or
by ....  (Changing the attribute manually is only mentioned as it is very
powerful when used in conjunction with the powerful global
search-and-destroy features of Protel - want to select all 0805 resistors
with a value of 10k, but just on the current sheet (or the project as you
wish)? Easy! Just the global operations and do it in one go.)  Learning
about the various methods of selecting and deselecting areas, inside and
outside and by layer and type (requires customization) is important to
running Protel efficiently - spend the time now.

Copy and Cut work a little differently in Protel from some other
applications, in that they will work on the selection. Also, when copying
and cutting you need to select a reference point for the paste after you
select the copy.

Another thing, Protel is extremely customizable.  So it is possible to
change almost any menu/key combination/toolbar to add in new processes. One
change I usually do is to add the copy and paste processes to the mouse
right-click context menu for both Sch and PCB.

One the issue of the net label automagically picking up the GND net from a
wire with a GND power object attached.  This will not happen in Sch.  What
you can do is to hover the net label (while it is floating under the mouse)
over the GND object and press the INS button and this will "clone" the text
of the power object (in this case the Net). It is under your control rather
than happening behind your back. (Note that cloning off power objects can
be tricky at time if the default snap grid of 10 is used.)  Cloning like
this is a very powerful technique that can be used in all sort of
situations including when placing power ports, components ...  also worth
reading about it in the manual.

Ian Wilson