Ian,
It's a pleasure to read your emails.

> Does PCAD force re-use of ref des "windows"?
PCAD2k1 gives you full control over the placed parts.
You see the refdes before it's placed and you can roll
up/down till you get the number you want. You have
also tips when you hold the mouse over any object.
I don't like the renumber utility much.

<snip>
> wire), the join between these two in-line sections
> remains - the wires are
> not merged.  This join is now an auto-junction hot
> spot.  So if someone
> runs a track across this hotspot a junction dot will
> be added (assuming
> auto-junction is enabled - see more on this below),
> so creating a possibly
> incorrect circuit.  This is a bigger failing in
> Protel than the placement
> of the net label in my opinion.

I would never suspect this. Thanks.

> It is very disappointing to me that this issue
> remains in Protel years
> after it being made clear to Protel/Altium that is
> was a problem.  Merging
> co-linear wire segments is not hard and many low end
> sch packages have it.

I'm sure they'll fix it... if they want Protel to
become a "product line" of Mentor.

> Mira,  it has been years since I used another ECAD
> package in anger so I am
> not a good judge.  However, there are many that
> successfully use Protel for
> high-end high quality work, so it can be done.
> Which package is best -
> sort of like asking which religion is best, or which
> OS is best.

You do it quite well, Ian. I know that everything is
possible. If I can do many complex designs in PCAD,
what could stop me to try them here?
I'm fast learning and very grateful person.

Now it's time to leave you.

Thanks to all who replied to my questions.

Mira