Igor, I know why people come here. I've helped out plenty of times (and
asked quite a few questions too) But I don't do dumb things and then ask how
to get out of hot water.

I don't know if you read what Rene wrote, but Rene said his drive CRASHED!!!
That almost ALWAYS means it gets thrown out, or reformatted or if they have
$$$$, sent in for data recovery services.

I didn't call him stupid, I said: "...that was plain stupid."  If anyone on
this list is making a living with their computer and NOT backing up their
data, they are *being* STUPID! There is a distinction between the two.

There is nothing to take back...how about someone accepting they screwed
up?? His actions aren't wrong to me, they are wrong to an entire industry of
computer professionals. And if anyone else is silently saying to themselves
'I don't back up either' well then you ought to learn a lesson from Rene's
crashed drive...

I triple backup because my livelyhood depends on it! I have two drives in my
machine that get mirrored. This covers me from a drive crash or even an
accidental file overwrite. On a weekly basis, I copy my data to another
machine, so if my drive controller on this machine screws up and trashes
both drives, I've only lost a week max. I don't screw around with tape
anymore because it's slow and I didn't do it often enough.

Tony