You're right Tony

I do make backups just not as often as you do. I experience at least
one drive crash per year, meaning I'm prepared. While I could
run server-centered I just don't have the confidence in the server.
I have raid5 array on the server but the software fails on
multiple copy operations at the same time. Perhaps a glitch in
setting up samba ?

While at the last crash, Aug2000, I justified the expense of a
6-drive Raid5, I might consider daily backup from now on.
About a week is lost on this drive this time.

Is there a recommended software that does backup based on disk copy
operations, no need for zipping. I hate tapes, they are no up to
the job. The software should find the differences. Meaning find
changed files.
Don't fail on open files ? Doesn't have to do open files though.
Strictly no database orientation, meaning not copying into one
big blob, but simple directory-directory copying with some
auto-naming ?

Rene