On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:16:20 -0400, Mike Reagan wrote:
>Rene,
>
>I have attached a zip drive to every computer I use.  They are
>cheap, 100-
>150 US.    I back every file I worked on, libs, ddbs, docs.
>everything at the end of the day.   I have had several drives
>crash over the past few years.  The only data I lost was the
>first time, after that I learned my lesson.  Back up every day.
>Three times a year I archive all my files onto a CD for
>permanent file keeping.
>
>Mike Reagan EDSI Frederick MD

The only problem with Zip drives or CD's is that they have pretty
limited storage capacity. They are also not the most reliable of
media, but they are fine for short term project data backups.

Nowadays, with the low cost of hard drives it makes sense to me
to install an extra drive in your system or on a server for
nothing but backup purposes. It's nice not having to worry about
whether you'll have the backup space to store off any and all
files you even think you *might* need someday. It's cheap
insurance and peace of mind.

BTW, I had a client whose facility burnt to the ground a few
years back. They called me and asked what project related files
and drawings (schematic, PCB, mechanical drawings, firmware,
etc.) I still might have for a project I had done for them
several years previous. Since I was already using this kind of
backup strategy, I had archived virtually the entire project
(less their own internal documents) and had them back up and
running in a matter of a couple days. Needless to say, they were
extremely grateful!

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems