Yeah, I think ZIP drives are pretty lame now.  They were a good idea a few
years ago, but when CD-R/RW came out and got cheap, ZIP drives are dinosaurs
now.

I don't understand Matt's claim that CD's aren't reliable.  If you handle
them carefully (don't use them as coasters and keep your greasy fingers off
the optical surface) they are very reliable.  Now DVD's are another story.
At this time, I would not trust critical data to a DVD.  Bit density is too
high to be reliable in real-world usage.  Witness all the messed-up DVDs
from the video rental store!  People must use them as Twister dots!

Since Protel DDBs are so huge now, fitting a large project on one CD-R might
be a problem.  I have yet to see good backup software that will span a
backup across multiple CD-R.  Anyone know of one?

I use the removable hard drive strategy of backup.  A 40GB drive will cost
you $99 at Best Buy or your local PC store.  Tapes are very unreliable in my
experience, and very costly.

Here is my idea of the ultimate backup technique:  use a removable hard
drive in a Linux box on your Samba network.  Backup your files to that Linux
box and take the drive home or store it in a rental storage facility.  When
you back up your Windows box, don't share the Linux drive with your Windows
box, but share the Windows drive with your Linux box.  That way if you get a
virus on your Windows box, it cannot corrupt anything on the Linux box.  I
haven't tried it, but it would be really cool to set up the Linux cron
daemon to periodically copy changed files from your Windows box to your
Linux box, making the backup automatic.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.