On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:59:05 -0400, Bagotronix Tech Support
wrote:
>It will be interesting to see how long the drive works reliably
>before it starts having read errors.  In my experience with QIC
>and Ditto drives, after a while the tape drives have too many
>read errors.  Even after cleaning the heads, they still have
>problems.

I had the same troubles with QIC drives. Never a problem with
DAT. DAT drives are expensive, but the tapes are cheap and the
recording method very reliable.

>I agree about the version issue.  Why doesn't someone write good
>(and cheap)
>backup software for non-tape media?  The same thing could be
>done for hard drives, CD-R/RW, networked storage, etc.

Look at NovaBack. It does pretty much all you are asking for
(it's why I use it too, I have similar needs) and is reasonably
priced. The only caveat I can tell you about is that it cannot
backup more than a 8GB backup dataset. Their tech support claims
this is a limitation of Windows, but I'm not sure about that. To
get around it, you just need to break the backup job into smaller
parts (which is easy to do). I've found the software to be robust
and bug free. I've never had their scheduler crash or do anything
weird.

http://www.no-panic.com/backup/n_backup.html

No, I don't work for Novastor or have any affiliation with them.
But I've tried a zillion different backup packages and this one
has worked the best for me.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems