At 12:53 PM 4/30/2002 -0400, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
>Since Protel DDBs are so huge now, fitting a large project on one CD-R might
>be a problem.

Protel DDBs get large if one does not empty trash and compact the database.
The latter is the most important and the least visible problem, the only
symptom of failing to compact is that the file gets larger, and larger, and
larger.

If I am correct, the Access database being used does not automatically
recover space when a file is deleted. That's what the compaction tool is
for. I have 99SE set to automatically compact every database when it is
closed. A minor nuisance sometimes, it takes a little longer to close the
database. Or one can manually compact from the Client menu. (That funny
down-arrow in the upper left hand corner of the screen....)

A while back, I still was using a 56K dialup actually running about 30K, I
got a very, very large ddb from a client. After compaction, it was less
than one-tenth the size.

It would take a truly large project to be too big to fit on a CD after
being cleaned up and compacted.