Igor,
We are talking about two different things or at least
both Protel and PCAD do this differently.
I tried the way you proposed but couldn't get it
working. However there was an option to "flip" the
selection that made me think it could be done but it
didn't actually flip the board. It just mirrored the
layers themselves. I mean top overlay stays still top
overlay but mirrored and everything is somehow frozen.

The meaning in Pcad is that you get all layers
swapped. Top goes to bottom, silk top - to silk
bottom. So it's like looking at the PCB from the
bottom side (or routing as the bottom side it your top
side).
Design views of your top and bottom overlay (silk)
next to your PCB design help you to locate easily the
components. When you flip the PCB and "refresh" you'll
see the views changed, too. Highliting a component
also highlights in in the view. Select another one and
it appears selected on the view.

I've got another question.
When moving the selection I placed it close to the
lower left corner... but some of the components are
now out of the working space. I looked to me it was
possible to place them there and Protel didn't
complain. It was deselected and saved in the mean
time.

How may I select again the PCB only? There are many
other things than I don't want to move.

Thanks,
Mira