its a brand new system
i also gave up on QIC and Ditto, etc.
i got this because the CDR method was too haphazard and there is no good
way to organize all the discs and maintain the 'habit'
also sifting through them to find something is pretty tedious

the drive is called Onstream ADR2 (the '2' is important)
IDE internal
the tapes say 60G, i think that is a compressed figure, it is hardware
compression
it is very fast for a tape, it reads a bunch of tracks in parallel or
something like that

the bundled software is Tapeware
at first i thought it was very complicated but that was because i was
trying too hard
just let it do what it wants with the wizards and it keeps track of what
tapes you are putting in etc.
there are a lot of backup terms and objects and containers and junk like
that but as i said they really tried to make it easy if you let it

the drive and the software and one tape were about $475

i have it running an incremental every night at 10PM (having once done a
full)
of course it is all configurable including security features
this is high end software ported down to this level

i have only had it a short while so caveat emptor, but it was
recommended by my long time and valued local white box builder
i did a few test restores and it worked
you can right click on a file name and view and select from all of the
backed up instances of the same file
(the file box is way too small though hopefully they will fix that)

all of the operations are very fast since they work off a database on
your hd
of course this can be rebuilt from your tapes

beware though!
the bundled software is only for a single workstation, you have to give
them more $$ for it to work on other machines on the network
you can install the full workgroup version and it will time out after 30
days unless you pony up

if you keep most of your work on one system you can stay with the
bundled version and just dump stuff from other machines on that one
periodically

Dennis Saputelli