I have been notified by a subscriber to this list that he received what is
probably a copy of one of the W32.Klez viruses, and that the mail appeared
to be from me.

This virus is known to spoof outgoing mail addresses, and it is quite
unlikely that I am infected -- though it is remotely possible in spite of
my precautions -- but his receipt of that mail, appearing to be from me,
indicates a high probability that a subscriber to this list is infected,
and other subscribers can expect to receive the virus.

This virus is currently at epidemic levels, I have received perhaps ten
copies of it.

All users should treat any mail with attached files as dangerous unless
prior correspondence leads one to specifically expect it from the sender. I
would never send anyone an attached file unless they are first warned and
generally I would wait for an acknowledgement before sending the file.

Further, this virus can take advantage of security loopholes in Outlook and
Explorer; it can be enough in some cases simply to open the mail even if
the attachment is not opened. I use Eudora, which is not so vulnerable, and
I turn off the Eudora option "Use Microsoft Viewer." So I don't
automatically see animated text, etc.... Darn.... :-)

Users are likewise urged to use Windows Update frequently to ensure that
critical Microsoft patches have been installed.