I missed the start of this thread but surely a production/stores department
would refer to a component by an unique number - they wouldn't put a 50V
capacitor in the same bin as a 5V one.  The answer then is to use the unique
number and pull the rest in from that.

Dave Hill

> > How many matches would suffice?
>
>as said before 2 would recomend 2. because a part is described with the
>footprint and the type. in some cases the partname says everything, but in
>the case it is a resistor / capacitor f.e. you need 2 informations to get
>the right informations.

What about those that use Part Field 1 for tolerance, and Part Field 2 for
wattage, and Part Field 3 for ....

>well okay we had some discussion about that, that if, lets say, i select a
>100nF cap 0805 size that must work at 5V,
>the tool can allow any cap in the
>excel database that would fit. going deeper into that, selecting the
>cheepest part ... but that would be a never ending story.

That is three matches, and now you want not only matching but intelligent
matching! :-)
Actually it is a nice idea (being able to select from a range of parts
based on some other metric, taking into account that some matching could be
based on a limit rather than an exact match).  But probably beyond the
scope of server such as I have written. With the selection based on price,
you are asking for a rather specialized sort of thing that is likely to
only make sense in very specific environments (that is the tool would have
to be written basically for integration with a particular companies work
practices).  It would be best to turn the problem on its head and allow an
external system to "pump" data into Protel.  There are well reviewed parts
list, BOM and MRP-type systems out there.  Two that come to mind are dCSM
and Parts and Vendors, that, I gather, work the other way around, in that
when using them you are not really using Protel to manage the parts list,
rather it is just one of several input sources..