On 10:00 AM 2/05/2002 -0700, Daniel Webster said:
>Ian:
>
>How terribly interesting it this thread, for this is precisely what I have
>been considering over the past couple of days. We are considering revamping
>our whole library databases and as a result I have been thinking carefully
>about how to better integrate Protel with our own internal parts inventory
>database. I envision being able to use a "place component" command that
>would allow for dynamic access to our inventory database which would then be
>able to fill in the footprint field, the value field, the internal part
>number according to the listed items in our internal database.
>The key attribute for selection would be the internal part number by which
>all other information could be extracted from the database and added to the
>part attributes. Please feel free to call me @ (250) 763-2329 ext. 225 and
>we can discuss your time and costs for development. This would be a very
>valuable tool to our company !

Daniel,

It could be done but I gather it has been.  Check out the dCSM product at:
www.ionos.com
I do not know prices. I am not associated with ionos in any way. I have
never used it but have had a quick look at it.  I gather it provides the
sort of on-line while-you-place-components access to a database.

My server is a batch process that runs after you have placed all the
components. Each component placed should have a field that would make it
unique.  I am investigating (actually started coding) making it more
flexible in that multiple fields could be used to make it unique.

The cost to provide a on-the-fly facility would possibly be more than
simply using the dCSM tool (but I will think about it).

Ian Wilson