I would guess the drive is the most failure prone piece in the system.
That's only with my personal experience, but I've had dozens of systems over
the last 15 years (I'm only counting the ones with hard drives :) and the
drive is the thing that always craps out. The motherboard and cards rarely
fail. (Except for network cards..I think they get zapped)

But yeah, your right...if the os tell it to write trash, you only recover
trash...

Ton