>Stop! Don't confuse the terms!

I'm not confused.

>A raid system is definitly NOT a backup, it's something like a fail safe
>system!
>It protects ONLY against hardware failture and can't replace a backup system.

Does it protect against failures of the raid controller?
Does it protect against the OS instructing the controller to destroy your data?

>With a raid level 5 it is possible to work further if one (and only one of
>at least three) of the hard drives fails.

So you cube your odds of having a drive fail, to protect yourself from that
failure, assuming the OS or the applications don't barf all over the data
first?

Raid was a good idea in 1980, when hard drives were somewhat
unreliable.   I've had them fail, as have we all.. However, every OS I've
run in the windows line has caused way more problems.