> I have about one drive crash, physical crash, per year.
> I'm convinced the technology the drives are built on is less reliable
> that 10 years ago. It may be that the pressure to deliver makes
> these companies deliver too quick.

Interesting.  My experience is exactly the opposite.  I can't remember the
last time I had a hard drive crash (I hope fate is not reading this
message!).  That is not to say it hasn't happened - I just can't remember
the year (sometime back in the 80's?).  We have about 8 PCs at the office, 1
laptop, 1 PC at my home.  We do periodic backups, but not as disciplined as
we should be.  The PCs are mostly old, only 1 of them is newer than 2 years!
We believe in wringing everything possible out of PCs before scrapping them.

Perhaps the hardware is getting too much of the blame.  The OS (especially
Windows) can trash a partition when a virus attacks, or a "challenging" app
such as Protel goes nuts.  Or maybe you are too rough with them?  We never
kick or pound on our PCs (even though I want to sometimes!).  And we never
allow smoking around them.  True story - I know a woman who always smokes
when working at her PC.  She has more hard drive failures than anyone I have
ever heard of - about 9-12 months is all she gets from them.  She buys a new
computer each time.  Her previous PC had a hard drive failure and all 3 fans
(CPU, case front, and power supply) were inoperable.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com