At 05:12 PM 5/7/2002 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar wrote:
>I have about one drive crash, physical crash, per year.

Time to switch vendors!

I run Maxtor drives, and over the last couple years have had zero problems.
That's on six drives running 24/7.
It's no data center, but it's a data point.

>A raid drive crash is fixed by replacing the hot spare drive and
>ordering a new one.
>A non-raid drive crash takes me at least 3 days to install a new
>drive, reinstall the OS, reinstall the software, reinstall the backup.

>I never had a controller crash in 20 years. I do have a spare raid
>controller though.

How would you tell? A fried board would be one thing, but a controller card
is a processor on it's own, and it can crash, causing bad data to be
written to one or more drives.

>And since WinNT I never had wrong data due to the OS.

I've not run NT. I'm on XP now, which is not 100% reliable, but is much
less crashy than 98 or ME.

>I admit a raid is not a backup though

Given.  My backups go in the mail on a CDROM.