Phillip Stevens wrote:

> My user libs and .DDB's are all redundantly,  multiply backed up.  :)
> On Tape, on CD's, on other drives.  The most I lost was 3-4 parts,
> and those are all on a schematic sheet,  so really nothing has
> actually been lost.
>
> More concerned with:
> - How it came to be corrupted.
> - That Client99SE allowed an (apparent) un-trapped error from a user
> library to get far enough to cause the program to be forcibly shut
> down by Windows.
> - That no indication of the problem area was given when the library
> was loaded.

The one real flaw with the Jet database used by Protel to handle the DDB

files is that so much information is in a single file.  If you update
one
library part, it has to open and rewrite substantial parts of the DDB
file.
If anything goes wrong (program crash, power fail, disk error, or even a

memory error) then the whole DDB can become corrupted.  It doesn't
happen often.  One problem with Microsoft OS's is that they tend to
have a philosophy of hiding errors from the user.  So, you can have a
disk drive that is generating thousands of recoverable errors, and the
only indication is that the system seems slow!  One day, those
recoverable
errors degrade to unrecoverable, and you STILL aren't told you have a
failing disk drive, all you know is a file is "corrupted".

With such a complicated OS, such a complicated application, using a
database, and on pretty complicated hardware, too, it is amazing that
things run as well as they do!

Jon