If gerber plots were not rounded off, there would be no problem with the
"virtual shorts," and, in fact, if fab houses fabbed the boards as-is
without modifying the gerber, there would also be no problem.

But Protel does some rounding and it is not easy to exactly control
aperture assignments while using the much easier RS-274X, though it can be
done; properly implemented, aperture match would cause the gap to actually
disappear as long as the pad distance is such as to leave the pads on a 1
mil grid. But as Mr. Saputelli discovered, it is fairly easy to set up and
place a virtual short footprint in such a way as to leave a tiny gap,
enough to puzzle the fab house inspector.

Complexities like this have led me to recommend the alternate method I
indicated in another post in this thread. It is a little easier to document
and no fab house will be tempted to modify the gerber.