It possibly also depends on the newsreader.
With netscape most mail come sorted right
where they belong. Some come out of order.

I'm also not sure that each person participating
responds correctly, and opens a new subject when
appropriate. I know of email users that in order to
send a new message press reply to the last visible
in the browser and override destination and subject,
the references however remain.

Rene