>--- Harry Selfridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >
[SNIP]

> >3. I have split the plane into multiple nets.  The
> >tracks that indicate the boundaries are 45 degree
> and
> >90 degree tracks.  Recall I have an arc on my board
> >edge.  Because the 45/90 tracks and the arc are not
> >"compatible", the tracks extend outside of the arc
> >avoid tiny slivers of plane near the board edge.
> Is
> >there a better way to do this?  For example, can I
> >define the regions with mostly 45/90 tracks but add
> an
> >arc at the board edge to complete the region?  Will
> >the way I have done this likely confuse the board
> >house?
>
> Your way will not confuse the board house.  In the
> old days before the
> wonderful GUI EDA packages, we laid out plane
> segments with radials that
> extended beyond the edge of the board.  The fab is
> going to physically cut
> that area off, so anything outside the board
> perimeter you tell them you
> want will be discarded during fab.
>
>   As for another, perhaps better, way - Protel gives
> you the ability to
> place split planes, and to define to what net the
> copper in the split area
> belongs.  Go to the "Design" menu in PCB and look
> for "Split Planes".  The
> menu item will allow you to add a split area with
> the width of boundary
> void you choose.

I DID use the Protel split plane feature.  I'm not
trying to keep track of the Cu manually.  I guess I
should have said that in my original post, but it
never occurred to me to do it manually.

> If you use something on the order of 20-30 mils for
> the split plane
> boundary, you can follow inside the 50 mil outline
> arc with line segments
> defining the outer edge ot the split plane.  It
> looks tidy, and it
> works.  The way the split plane boundary segments
> are laid down works just
> like laying a track - you can choose right angle, 45
> degree, arc, or free
> form with a combination of space bar and shift key
> while laying down the
> boundary line.

OK, I see what you mean.  Sounds like a good idea, but
since I won't confuse the board house with the 45/90
tracks that are run outside of the board I'll just
leave it as it is.  By the way, I did see in the help
file that arcs can be used to define the split plane
boundaries, however is seems impossible to make the
arc the same radius as my board outline so it's not
much use.

Thanks for the help.

Matt