Hi All,

I would greatly appreciate any pratfalls, obvious dos and don'ts that you could share
with preping protel files for a pick place machine (esp. Juki Kp-620)

The company I work for is in the process of upgrading there manufacturing facility.
Moving from manual though hole loading & manual pick place to a surface mount pick and
place machine.  I have plenty of protel/pcb experience, but none with pick and place
machines.

Questions:

Do my existing libraries of components need to be massaged to best make use of a pick
and place machine?
ie Have the component origin at component center?
ie Information in some of the text fields to indentify component as Through Hole or
Surface Mount etc.

Can I pass information to Pick Place machine other than component co-ordinates.
Such as what feeder to used for a particuliar component value.
ie 1206 1K resistors from reel #2, 1206 4k7 resistors from reel#3, ...

My thinking is the more I can tell the Pick Place Machine what to do from Protel, the
less chance something is screwed up in translation.

Are there conversion utlities? Can anyone recommend a conversion utility?

Thanks for your input.

Jamie Reuel
Engineering Manager

Alfatron Pty Ltd