At 06:19 AM 5/24/2002 -0700, Embedded Matt wrote:
>Thanks for all the help on this question.  I think the
>best solution for me is to create a special rule for
>these pads as some have suggested.
>
>I also appreciate the information on non-plated holes.
>
>Let me just add that the reason that I wanted a size 0
>pad is because we only put non-zero size pads around
>holes that will be used for grounding.

Note that a pad sized substantially less than the hole size is functionally
equivalent to a pad of zero size. This is why it was suggested, as one
option, that a small pad be used instead of a zero size pad. Zero size pads
are not guaranteed to function properly when encountered by various CAM and
CAD programs.

>As for keeping things away from the hole, Protel has
>other ways I can keep things away from the hole
>without having to add a big pad -- again as some have
>suggested.

Yes, there are other ways, but a large pad is the simplest and easiest and
most straightforward. Personally, I would find another way to indicate
ground pads, such as text. (In fact, in my opinion, such pads should
actually be footprints and should be in the schematic, for several reasons.
This can make the appropriate text almost automatic.)