At 11:45 AM 5/31/2002 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:
>John,
>         my personal thoughts on the spreadsheet method was that it would
>only work in the limited case where the track was only connected at one end.
>In my past I have found a great deal of stubs where this method wouldn't
>work because there were actually two tracks connected at both ends to tracks
>atop one another or just slightly misaligned atop each other.

If the data is prefiltered to remove the extra track that is fully
coincident, the remaining overlapping track will be detected.... Note that
misalignment implies lack of endpoint coincidence....

(Two identical tracks, however, would cause each track to be considered
connected, which is why eliminating the redundant track first would be
necessary.)