From: Andy Gulliver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 10:54 AM
To: Protel User Group
Subject: [PEDA] Autorouter just stops...

... doesn't crash, just stops:

On a fairly dense PCB, set up for 14 layers (8 signal, 6 power/ground) on a
5/5 design rule, I'm seeing strange router behaviour.

The router happily goes through the SMD fanout, memory & pattern routers but
part way through the push 'n' shove pass it does a DRC and exits.  No status
report, no error message, no crash - it just stops.

I've double checked that the board is within system capabilities, corrected
a few off-grid components and even re-fanned out four 1152-pin BGAs to make
sure the vias are all on-grid.  There are still off-grid pads, but that sort
of thing hasn't stopped the router on previous designs.

The router seems to be objecting to something, albeit in a slightly more
restrained manner than usual, but the question is what?

Any hints/tips/solutions gratefully received.

(BTW, the Protel version is P99SE/SP6 and the PC is an 800-and-something MHz
P3 with 512M SDRAM running Windows 2000 Professional)

Regards,

Andy Gulliver

* Tracking #: 0D6407EFA3F3654C90CDEC4D07962F5AD27F0FD9