SL> Impedance control has been discussed before. I know Protel Stack manager
SL> and Design rule/Signal integrity/impedance constraint can do something
SL> with it.
It appears to be able to calculate the trace impedances for you.
I only looked at this briefly,  and forget the exact steps I used to get this
information,  but it wasn't difficult to do.  The numbers it provided seemed
to be "in the ballpark"  but I have not validated what it was telling me (yet).

SL> But there is minimum information in the Designer's Handbook or
SL> Protel on-line help.
I'd recommend the following 2 resources:

High Speed Digital Design,  A Handbook Of Black Magic.  Johnson/Graham
Prentice Hall ISBN 0-13-395724-1

High Speed Digital System Design,  A Handbook of Interconnect Theory
and Design Practices.  Stephen H. Hall, Garrett W. Hall, and James A.
McCall.  ISBN 0-471-36090-2

You should check for any later editions.

SL> I am still confused and do not know how to start.
Be aware that the Board Wizard (If you created your PCB using the
Wizard) seems to "pick it's (height) numbers out of thin air",  when
it constructs a board.  The Wizard seems unaware of controlled impedance issues.
You have to go back in and manually edit the initial defaults it provides later.
This was a major point of confusion for me,  at first.

You might also want to talk to a board houses people on a controlled
impedance design,  and get any guidelines they might have.

SL> Can you give me some basic steps or guidelines for this topic?
See the references above.  They are both very good on this topic.

SL> P.S. It is 6 layers board(4 signal and 2 planes). Impedance is 100 ohms.

SL> Thank you very much!

---Phil

* Tracking #: AF7AB001D61B1A40B1E3B94C437291F903663796