I've never seen anything like this. However, this is what I expect I would
do if I encountered this problem.

I would immediately take steps to move existing backups to a safe place,
where they cannot be subsequently overwritten. Backups exist in two places;
in the designated autobackup directory and in the directory in which the
.ddb lives. The autobackup is, as I recall, -- in the DDB system -- the
whole database. Each file within the database, when overwritten, is
normally backed up in the current (DDB) directory. I'd just copy all those
files somewhere else, en masse, without worrying yet about details.
Likewise the database itself.

Now, to attempt to solve the problem: I suspect a trashed executable, so
one of the first things I would do is to uninstall and reinstall Protel.
I'd try it first in a simple way, and if that does not work, I would then
move all the *99SE.* files in the Windows or WinNT directory to somewhere
else (make sure the originals no longer live in Windows or WinNT), and then
uninstall and reinstall Protel once again.

If the problem still exists, I would write the PCB file as the ASCII
database if the program lets me. Perhaps a pointer has been trashed and
such things are not preserved in the ASCII form, which is human readable. I
would then load this ASCII file. I might export it as well.

If the problem persists, I would examine the ASCII file with a text editor
to see what is going on. As I recall, components are assigned numbers in
the component record; this number will then be used in the individual
primitive fields. The ASCII database is easier to see and follow than to
describe.....

If I can't recover the data in this way, I would start to look at backups,
the latest first. Hopefully the problem was discovered before all good
backups were overwritten.... One good reason to have a relatively long
backup cycle, i.e., don't have one or two backups written every five minutes!

It is possible that if the component records are intact but the primitives
have been trashed, Update from the PCB library will recover them. But this
is one of the last things I would try.

And if that fails, I think I would be in for some tedious work to recreate
my file.

However, the very first solution, reinstallation, is quite likely to fix
the problem. Just remember to get rid of the *99SE.* files if an
installation without moving them fails to fix the problem, they will *not*
be removed in the uninstall, and a new installation will respect them if
they exist. If you have valuable customizations, you can then restore the
files piecemeal until the bad file is found (like half of them at a time,
keeping the good half and dividing the bad half again, etc.).