John Williams, here is what i have done so far (no joy)

i searched my machines for
ODBCjt32.dll

i found several different file dates but only 2 different versions under
the properties tab
a binary compare showed ones with same version number to be identical

machine P4 is working correctly with
ODBCjt32.dll
Tuesday, May 08, 2001, 5:00:00 AM
4.0.6019.0
Microsoft ODBC Desktop Driver Pack 3.5

machine G5 is also working correctly with
4.0.4403.2
size same
date is 6/14/2001

mahine G6 which is the problem machine has
4.0.6019.0

so i put
4.0.4403.2
on machine G6
i also deleted ODBCjt32.dll from \dllcache folder
so that the file only resided in \system32

i rebooted and verified the older version was still in place
we worked for a while and the problem has recurred exactly the same with
either of these files

so now i am at a dead end

what to do?
any ideas?