here, here Frank! (or is it hear, hear?)

rant on, you are absolutely correct
i think you should forward your rant to Protel

there is another very similar 'issue' (the polite word)
for many of us (but not for all of us) the Select Holesize function is
broken after a reinstall

there are a series of 'typos' in the holesize.bas file in the installed
template.ddb

they apparently slip streamed a fix on some of the CDs but every time we
install/reinstall we have to go fix that file too
SP6 does not fix this either

Dennis Saputelli

Frank Gilley wrote:

> >i just hit the 'restore defaults' button in layer display order dialog
> >don't do it!
> >all my mech layers disappeared except when they were current
> >
> >i had to go hack the ADVPCB*.ini file to put back all the 'new' mech
> >layers
> >
> >Dennis Saputelli
>
> Full-Bore Rant Is On:
> I must say, this particular bug just flat out hacks me off.  Something so
> freakin' glaring and debilitating, yet Protel REFUSES to fix it.  Any bug
> that will *persistently* screw up your 99SE installation just by pressing a
> button should warrant a service pack all by itself.  It is just
> inconceivable that Protel management would rather keep this
> super-embarrassing bug in their FLAGSHIP SOFTWARE than break down and issue
> a service pack for it.  And from a programming standpoint, it is so easy to
> fix!  What could possibly be their reasoning?  It doesn't make sense from
> an economic standpoint not to fix it-- every time a new customer pushes
> that button it will likely generate a call to tech support sooner or
> later.  Can you imagine how embarrassing it must be for the tech support
> agents to have to explain this to people over and over and over again for
> the last few years?  "Yes sir, we know if you push that button it will mess
> up your installation permanently......why haven't we done anything about
> it?...well, uhm, management has directed us not to take any action on this,
> ever....we're sorry sir, but I'm quite sure the person responsible for that
> decision is not available to come to the phone...."   No wonder tech
> support doesn't like to call you back.  I'll bet some days they just can't
> take getting yet another earful from another incredulous and angry customer.
> Anyway, this repeatedly demonstrated "policy" toward bug and functionality
> service is a most grand, very loud, and quite clear warning for us all
> concerning what ATS is (expensive) and is not (even a whiff of change in
> Protel management's attitude toward product service) and what we can expect
> from future products.
>
> Protel Management:  Demonstrate that 1+1 in your world does equal 2.  Issue
> service pack 7 for 99SE.  It would go along way toward restoring confidence.
>
> Rant Dissipated
>
> Frank Gilley
> Dell-Star Technologies
> (918) 838-1973 Phone
> (918) 838-8814 Fax
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.dellstar.com

* Tracking #: D49C3C840B4436479D15D305BEEBA99D2BB0F5A1