Step #1, video card:

    If you want dual head, & you want a perfect match, you will need to chose a video
card where both video outputs are the same.
If you have a digital flat panel interface, make sure both outputs are digital.  Never
go for half & half, then place a digital -
analog adapter on the digital output.  Unfortunately, this narrows the list of dual
head cards significantly.

The NVIDIA Quadro4 200 NVS is affordable at around 145$.  This is the only card which
will deliver 4096x1536x32 bit at 75Hz on both
displays.  It outputs 2 digital flat panel displays, or 2 analog displays.  In analog
mode, the 2 displays are driven by 2, 350Mhz
dacs which are on the video card, instead of a little external digital to analog
adapter.  Though, because of the weird dual video
output plug, you still use a connector adapter for analog.

If you want to pay 615$, you will have the luxury of 4096x3072x32bit over 4 screens.

    These cards were designed for the dual & quadruple display capabilities.  They are
also the first in NVIDIA's lineup to offer
2048x1536 at 32 bit instead of 16, & higher refresh rates above 60hz in the 32 bit
mode.  They were designed for the professional
work station cad environment.  Do not expect to play 3D games with this card, it will
probably be no better than a souped up GF2.
They are basically have the performance of a GF4 MX video card, which is good news,
because it's 2D is about twice as fast as a GF2.

Monitors coming up in the next letter...
Brian Guralnick