> the only reason for which I'd ever change a screen resolution would be to
> _increase_ it. I don't need menus and toolbars to take half of my screen

Some of us folks like bigger fonts so they are more readable.  My 21 in. CRT
is capable of 1600x1200 (at least), but I run it at 1152x768 because text
gets too small for my liking.  I can see fine when wearing my contacts
(which I do every day), but my CRT is about 2-3 ft. from my face (because
that's where I want it).  So if I use higher res, the text gets too small.
I can put in a long day (12+ hrs.) with no eyestrain with this setup.

Why is my CRT so far from my face?  Because the space inbetween is taken up
by papers, tools, prototypes under test, etc.  Typical design engineer desk
mess.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.