Brad Velander wrote:

> Hi all,
>         this is just a wild fishing trip.
>         Recently I have been plagued by my Protel install being corrupted
> repeatedly. It seems to be corrupted Borland/Delphi library files (i.e.
> VCL50.bpl in particular). I can do a clean install that includes deleting
> all bpl and dpl files, reinstall Protel and everything is fine, a week or so
> later I end up having to do it again. Anybody seen/seeing anything similar?
>         Note: I have not installed/reinstalled any applications since
> reinstalling Protel, so it is not being written over by a new version to the
> best of my knowledge.

See if you can get diagnostics for your machine.  At least, run one of the
bootable memory test programs overnight.  You may have defective
memory, a flaky CPU or cache bus, or possibly a flaky IDE channel to
the hard drive.  I really don't think this is a problem with Protel code.
It is unfortunate that Protel seems to write stuff back onto the executable
file, I think.  That is a dangerous practice.  If memory contents are
corrupted, then what is written back will be contaminated.

You could save a copy of the executable file under a different name and
in a different directory.  Then, you could compare the two to detect changes,
or just copy it back.  That would be faster than reinstalling the whole thing.
(It might also cause the copy protection to refuse to allow the software to
run.
Well, then you would have to reinstall.)

Jon

* Tracking #: 1CC38CCCA5B1D848A5EE77C47F29712D6FF02B83