In my c:\WINNT directory (where Protel put them ;))

Actually there's only one .cfg file -- Client99SE.cfg -- I actually
meant all the config files in general.

Based on the time stamps, it looks like Protel writes a new
Client99SE.rcs, Client99SE.raf, Client99SE.ndr, Client99SE.ini and
Client99SE.cfg file on exit. It also appears to write the .ini and .dft
of any servers you have open on exit also (in my case AdvSch99SE).

What I see when Protel bombs is that the Client99SE.ini or .cfg (or
both) files get trashed. Protel pops up an Exception Error message and
when you look at the .ini file, it's truncated. It sometimes also
trashes one of the other server .ini files. It's strange and repeatable
on several different systems, mine and my PCB designer's (at a
different location). It occurs with Win2K SP2 (which we both run) or
Win98SE. It always crashes when the status message about writing the
"configuration file" is in the status bar as Protel is shutting down.

The crazy thing is if I close all the ddb files before I exit, it NEVER
crashes. I also don't get any crashes with the same ddb's doing
everyday schematic or PCB work on them. Very strange.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:52:21 -0700, Dennis Saputelli wrote:
>where exactly are these cfg files you refer to ?
>inside your DDB with the file name of the schematic?
>
>Dennis Saputelli
>

>Matt Pobursky wrote:
>>
>>Brad,
>>
>>What was the fix?
>>
>>I get corrupt .cfg files all the time if I exit Protel with any ddb's
>>open. Maybe there's some correlation? If I close all the ddb's before
>>I exit Protel, it never corrupts the .cfg files.
>>
>>(and yes, I keep a clean copy of all my .cfg files tucked away so I
>>don't have to reset all my defaults by hand. Uggh.)
>>
>>Matt Pobursky Maximum Performance Systems
>>
>>On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:29:35 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:
>>>Dennis or the others with suggestions,         solved the problem,
>>>it wasn't a corrupted install as I expected from my previous
>>>problems a week or so ago. It was a corrupt .cfg file. And of course
>>>the .cfg file contains the configuration information for annotate
>>>and BOMs.
>>>
>>>In all fairness to Protel NA Tech support, I actually got directly
>>>to a person this afternoon not once but twice. Possibly things are
>>>improving at the Tech Support end, we will have to see. Anyway, Lori
>>>came up with the fix in short order. Thanks Lori!

* Tracking #: 2E532EEDAC20D840AFF623600A5133EC2303FA31