Hi,

I've been monitoring this group for a few months now.   An associate has a job
to make some changes to his customer's board, and the customer is using Protel
99SE SP6.   Since he's not yet joined the group, he wanted me to post this for
him:

We're still hammering away at a 6-layer board with 99SE, SP6. This is not a
new board, but one with major changes. Around 25% of the board is affected.

The autorouter is exasperating. We'd appreciate feedback on any of these
problems:

1. We have to limit to 4 layers, or the autorouter crashes. We are running
W2000 with 256MB of memory. Protel is the only open application.

2. The autorouter finishes, announces that it has completed 87% of the board
(or something like that), and leaves behind hundreds of design rule
violations, mainly shorts and clearance violations. Tracks will be on top of
each other and on top of vias. Vias will be in tooling holes. Etc. All the
autorouter passes are enabled.

3. Autoroute Net starts routing the selected net, and then tries to route
the rest of the board.

4. Autoroute Connection routes part of a simple connection, and then exits
the autorouter.

5. Autoroute Area locks up hard. I have to use the task manager to kill it.

6. Autoroute component will partially route one or two simple components,
and then exit the autorouter.

We have the design rules set up for 5mil tracks and 5mil clearances. There
are some special widths for certain net classes.

Thanks for any feedback.

* Tracking #: 345983CCB7D3414A8D8180B7809A45AE02DA647D
David Smith, President

Realtime Development Corp.
Engineering and Consulting

http://www.realtime-dev.com